[Howm-eng 106] Show title rather than file name in summaries

Back to archive index

Albert Reiner arein****@tph*****
Wed Nov 14 16:56:12 JST 2012

Hello,

is it possible to have howm display the title, rather than the file
name, in summaries such as are displayed after C-c , s or C-c , a or
when following links?  Something like

,----[ C-c , s Zeit RET ]
| 2012-10-15-081531.txt | haelt sich durch im Zeitbegriff?
| 2012-10-29-211319.txt | vorfinden, auf die Zeit aus?
`----

is not so usable as I get no idea what 2012-10-29-211319.txt is about.

Ideally, I would like

- the title (or at least its beginning, if it is too long) to be
  displayed, if it is non-blank;

  - if the title is too long, one might display the first matching
    line of the file only on the next line

- otherwise, the file name should be displayed as is the case now.

- At the same time, when navigating the list, the echo area should
  continue to display the full file name, e.g.: "View:
  /home/albert/.howm/2012/09/2012-09-22-110945.txt".

So the above example would become, e.g.,

,----[ C-c , s Zeit RET ]
| Familienaehnlichkeite | haelt sich durch im Zeitbegriff?
| Quantentheorie - Nich | vorfinden, auf die Zeit aus?
`----

or

,----[ C-c , s Zeit RET ]
| Familienaehnlichkeiten - Wittgenstein