Forums: Developers (Thread #43161)

Storytime: MTA:Blue did (?) scrutinize TXD mipmaps (2020-10-31 02:06 by quiret #86077)

I tend to play MTA:SA sometimes to pass time while thinking about developer ideas. I started the MTA client today and noticed that there was a new update for 1.5.8. Very excitingly I awaited update completion and joined my favourite MTA Server, "Coopera T0 | +18 | FreeRoam". You can find me there pretty often so come and chat with me if you want.

But the bad news was visible as soon as I started connecting to the server. The client does take a very long time to load. After waiting through the unusually long load time I have been greeted with a very grainy GTA:SA world. As an experienced texture guy I knew that mipmapping was not working. But all of my GTA:SA textures are mipmapped so what was going on?

I filed a bug report at the official MTA:SA bugtracker to get an official statement from the devs. Since I am the developer of Magic.TXD, the greatest TXD editor for the GTA:SA game, I find it unacceptable if mipmaps are not working on MTA:

https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/issues/1774

Disabling mipmaps for the sake of no client modifications? Pretty terrible idea too. On 1.5.7 the no client game file modifications did mean that TXD files were excluded. But now the rules of the game are supposedly changed? I guess you can hide stupid things inside of mipmap layers like make them transparent and that could be considered a valid cheat. So if the statement is gonna be "man we really don't like cheaty TXD mods" then I am not gonna be destroyed about it. I am gonna pretend that I don't care for the sake of having a good relationship with the MTA devs...
(Last Update: 2020-10-31 04:28 by quiret)

Reply to #86077×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: MTA:Blue does scrutinize TXD mipmaps (2020-10-31 03:45 by quiret #86078)

No idea how but the bug has magically disappeared from my MTA:SA client. Not saying that I am the odd one out because quite some people did also experience the issue and some of them reported malfunctioning of their SSD drive:

https://forum.mtasa.com/topic/127880-gta3img-modifications/

What do we learn from this? MTA:SA does disregard mipmaps if something... SOMETHING... goes terribly wrong. The network layer of MTA is very complicated. And I am happy that there is no motion from the MTA developers to disable valid TXD mods like mipmaps.

:-)
Reply to #86077

Reply to #86078×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login