Forums: M+ OUTLINE FONTS (Thread #33979)

Missing Kangxi radical characters (2013-05-08 04:45 by kintopp #68650)

Greetings to the Mplus team!

I'm working with a Japanese instructor in Chicago to create an instructional kanji web and iPad app. We are very happy with the look and range of M+ and are looking forward to using it extensively for our project. But since we plan to show our kanji search results in our web app grouped by radical we've run into a problem - a handful of the Kangxi radicals and variants are still missing glyphs in Mplus. I can work around this by switching to different fonts or by creating graphic assets for the radicals but I'd much prefer to use Mplus as text throughout.

I've created a quick demo page to demonstrate the issue (first uploading "M+ 1c light" to TypeFront to generate the necessary web fonts): http://kanjialive.com/radical-test.html The fallback font is MS Gothic so that the difference to M+ is clear by inspection. The list is not completely canonical since it makes some decisions about which variants to include in the list (it's derived from http://kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/).

I'd like to first confirm with you that my assumptions are correct. Are the indicated radical glyphs in fact missing or did I make some mistake? I don't know Japanese so it's possible that I am mistaken. If they are missing, would it be possible to have these added? I can generate a definitive list to aid this effort - it looks to be about 35 characters or so. I realize that this is not a trivial number of additions.

many thanks in advance,

Arno

Reply to #68650×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

RE: Missing Kangxi radical characters (2013-05-08 05:19 by kintopp #68652)

I corrected an error in my initial list. There appear to be about 26 characters missing for our purposes. Since our app is not a dictionary (rather a learning tool) we don't offer support for kanji drawing on all the Kangxi radicals.
Reply to #68650

Reply to #68652×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

RE: Missing Kangxi radical characters (2013-05-08 09:00 by coz #68659)

There are 4,500 kanji glyphs in the M+ FONTS, but it is still in the works. I'll give a first priority to the missing kanji glyphs that has pointed out by you. Please check my blog below.

http://mplus-fonts.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
Reply to #68650

Reply to #68659×

RE: Missing Kangxi radical characters (2013-05-10 05:13 by kintopp #68691)

That's great news! Thank you very much for this very generous response and for your kind comments about our project.
Reply to #68650

Reply to #68691×

RE: Missing Kangxi radical characters (2013-05-17 02:33 by kintopp #68772)

I can confirm that all the glyphs for the Kangxi radicals used by Kanji alive have now been created (http://kanjialive.com/radical-test.html). Thanks again!
Reply to #68650

Reply to #68772×