Nitrux is a Linux desktop distribution directly based on Debian. It uses the Calamares installer and includes NX Desktop and NX Firewall on the KDE Plasma 5 desktop environment and KDE Applications. Nitrux emphasizes the use of AppImages to manage end-user software. Nitrux also does not use systemD as its init system; instead, it uses OpenRC.
Nitrux includes a suite of convergent applications called Maui Apps. We use MauiKit, our convergent, cross-platform UI framework, to create these applications. Both MauiKit and the Maui Apps are entirely free and open-source software.
In addition to this, we include a curated selection of free and open-source software by default; we don’t add proprietary software. And for those looking for a 100% free (as in freedom) operating system, the optional Linux Libre kernel is available to install.
Nitrux is always up-to-date, thanks to using the latest Debian base and to the effort of the KDE Neon developers.
We are pleased to announce the launch of Nitrux 1.2.0. This new version brings together the latest software updates, bug fixes, performance improvements, and ready-to-use hardware support.
Nitrux 1.2.0 is available for immediate download. To update, please check the Compendium for instructions.
- The first release of Nitrux 1.2.x series.
- Updated Waterfox to version 56.2.13.
- Updated LibreOffice to version 6.3.0
- Updated kernel to version 5.2.11-lowlatency.
- Updated KDE Plasma to version 5.16.4, KDE Frameworks to version 5.61.0, KDE Applications to version 19.08.
- Added VMetal.
- Added Buho. Buho is a notes application using MauiKit.
- Added a new layout for Latte Dock, right-click it and select "Distributions" then "nx-bottom-panel."
- AppImage icons may be missing from the application launcher on first boot, press Alt+F2, and type latte-dock --replace then press Enter.
- If not using English as default locale please run VMetal using the following command: LANG=C vmetal then press Enter.
- OpenGL acceleration is on by default, if you use Nitrux in a VM open System Settings>Monitor>Compositor and select XRandr.