Forums: OpenMIDIProject forum (Thread #39782)

5.5 crashes (2018-07-29 05:34 by Knobsfreak #81661)

I have two external synths attached via USB. Both receiving and sending sync, both with internal sequencer. Additional MIDI-wiring for syncing all external synths in a chain. Sekaiju is set up with inputs on, outputs off, sync output to synth 2. When starting record within Sekaiju, the external synths start their sequencers. When I stop recording, no notes are visible. And after a few seconds Sekaiju disappears. I can easiliy repeat this behaviour.

Reply to #81661×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: 5.5 crashes (2018-07-31 21:29 by kuzu #81677)

Thank you for using Sekaiju.

But I'm sorry I can't understand your MIDI environment, Sekaiju setup, and what you want to do.
Please write more detailed situation and setup, additionally, please send detailed screenshots by e-mail.

Here shows some hint.

1. Check your synthesizer sends MIDI clock and Sekaiju receives the MIDI clock (time counter runs) by playing.
2. Select "Speed = slave to other machines"
3. Check MIDI message is not looped, otherwise, USB driver's buffer is filled with message and system will down.
4. Consider your synth's "local mode" on / off.
5. Send / Receive MIDI clock mode also send / receive Start / Stop / Continue command.
In some machine, these three command may cause some additional wrong works,
for example, all controller / program reset or unexpected running.
6. In Sekaiju, note's duration must be 1 or longer.
7. Check your synth's output channel (global channel).
8. Check note event is exist or not in event list window. Sometimes noteon and noteoff may be exchanged.
Reply to #81661

Reply to #81677×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: 5.5 crashes (2018-08-01 05:11 by knobsfreak #81680)

Hello!

Thank you for the answer!!! I will try a more detailed description and add comments to your hints below:

Connected to the PC via USB: CASIO XW-P1 and two Novation Circuit.
The second Circuit cannot be opened by Sekaiju, so I didn't set it up in the MIDI settings.
All synths receive Clock from USB and MIDI (they also send, but deactivating that didn't change anything)
All devices are sending data via MIDI and USB
Circuit1 sends MIDI to Circuit2, which sends MIDI to the CASIO.
Sekaiju is set as master. "Send MIDI-Clock to Circuit1"
Port 1 is the CASIO, Port 2 in Sekaiju is Circuit1
All Sekaiju-channels (16 per synth) are set to "Input on" and Output off".
Then, when I press "Record" in Sekaiju", the sequencers of all three synths begin to run and the cursor in Sekaiju moves as expected..
When I press stop, Sekaiju shows nothing. No data received. When I try without sync, I can receive "something", but also not everything. But this may be a different story.
After a few seconds, Sekaiju disappears. No error message, nothing strange. It just disapears.

While running, things sound strange. Could be a remaining loop. I don't undestand, yet.

What I found now, while doing a quick check of my statements: When I have Event list at the top, Sekaiju doesn't crash. After closing the event list, setting cursor to the beginning and doing a record, Sekaiju will crash most times. (Record and Play buttons remain "highlighted" before it crashes).

Does this help?

Best regards,
Andreas

> 1. Check your synthesizer sends MIDI clock and Sekaiju receives the MIDI clock (time counter runs) by playing. <<<< Sekaiju should be master, because this seems to be the only way to start its recording mode in sync.
> 2. Select "Speed = slave to other machines" <<< Sekaiju is master
> 3. Check MIDI message is not looped, otherwise, USB driver's buffer is filled with message and system will down. <<< Sekaijus MIDI-Out is set to off
> 4. Consider your synth's "local mode" on / off. <<< synths sequencers and sound engines are active
> 5. Send / Receive MIDI clock mode also send / receive Start / Stop / Continue command. <<< tried also SMPTEs, but didn't work
> In some machine, these three command may cause some additional wrong works,
> for example, all controller / program reset or unexpected running. <<< Machines are running fine!
> 6. In Sekaiju, note's duration must be 1 or longer.
> 7. Check your synth's output channel (global channel).
> 8. Check note event is exist or not in event list window. Sometimes noteon and noteoff may be exchanged. <<< They are in correct order,.
Reply to #81677

Reply to #81680×

Re: 5.5 crashes (2018-08-05 13:53 by kuzu #81688)

I guess your MIDI environment is following. (0xF8 means MIDI clock).

Sekaiju[Master]
↓0xF8,♪
Circuit1[Slave]
↓0xF8,♪♪
Circuit2[Slave]
↓0xF8,♪♪♪
CASIO Synth[Slave]
↓0xF8??,♪♪♪♪
Sekaiju[Master,Recording]

This is too complex, for making matters simple, I've tested in the following way.

Sekaiju[Master,Recording]
↓0xF8, ↑♪
KORG Synth[Slave]

Sometimes Sekaiju's locator stops and no note event is detected, sometimes cause freeze.
I don't know why such error is caused at now.
Perhaps Sekaiju has a bug, but this issue is very complex, so it will take a time for research.
Testing MIDI Sync mode (receive) "None" and "Receive MIDI clock", may result different working.
Start / Stop / Continue message or some sysex message about time may cause error to time counter.

Unfortunately, In Japan, company is very very hard, which is known as "karoshi".
I don't have enough time to fix Sekaiju. I'm too tired and exhausted because of overwork.
Sorry for taking a time.
Reply to #81661

Reply to #81688×

Re: 5.5 crashes (2018-08-05 21:49 by knobsfreak #81689)

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you find out of this dangerous doing!!! Without Karoshi!!!!

Unfortunately, German comapanies believe in Japan methods. Thus, stress increases. Managers are ... workoholics, who lost connection to reality.

Sekaiju. Yes, it seems to be a bug, because the crash doesn't appear when having event list open. I will try to use this workaround.

Thankyou for having time for the answer and

Good luck!!!
Reply to #81688

Reply to #81689×