Forums: OpenMIDIProject forum (Thread #40999)

[Sekaiju 5.7] Instrument wont change (2019-07-28 07:25 by AlphaEcho #83304)

Hey there!

I've been trying out this software for a couple of days now and I think it's really amazing. Althoguh yesterday I encountered a weird problem; for some reason the sound of some tracks wont change after I've selected another program number for them For example, when I try to change the program number of a track from the default "0-Piano 1" to let's say "30-DistortionGt", the sound wont change even if the text in the box says "30-DistortionGt" . Sometimes this problem goes away but then it comes back again, and sometimes all tracks sounds like piano although the text says otherwise. I haven't really kept track of what might cause this to happen but one time I remember this problem occuring after changing the name and tempo of the song in the event list.

Is this a bug or just some setting I'm missing? I would love to go back and practice making midi music, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to #83304×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: [Sekaiju 5.7] Instrument wont change (2019-07-28 10:49 by kuzu #83305)

Hello,
Thank you for using Sekaiju.

In MIDI, the instrument array (voice name list) is completely depend on the MIDI module or synthesizer that you are using. Sekaiju's default instrument definition is for "Microsoft GS wavetable synth", which is included in Windows. If you are using different MIDI module or synthesizer, to show exact voice name, you must select your module's instrument definition file (*.ins). And you must specify exact three numbers for CC#0-bank select MSB, CC#32-bank select LSB, and Program Change to select voice. If you specify wrong number, perhaps no sound comes or piano's sound comes. Please see your module's voice name list.

And you must insert the system exclusive data at the top of each MIDI sequence for initializing your module mode, which is, GM System Off(Native mode), GM System on, GM2 System on, GS Reset, or XG Reset. If you forget initializing, perhaps the latest initializing mode will be used. If you initialized to wrong mode, it causes nothing or sometimes coming piano's sound. If you are using default "Microsoft GS wavetable synth", Only GM System on or GS Reset are available. Please insert the system exclusive data at the top of each MIDI sequence.

Here shows GS Reset's example.
Track Time Kind Value
1- 00000:01:000 System Exclusive data F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7

For detail, please see openmidiproject's documentation's page and FAQ's page carefully.

Reply to #83304

Reply to #83305×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login