Forums: OpenMIDIProject forum (Thread #43063)

Run Mode 1 Issue (2020-09-30 00:00 by immorpher #85938)

I have been composing music for Doom 64 EX; unfortunately it does not handle midi events with run mode 1 well. Sekaiju seems to introduce these run mode 1 events when editing midis. I can go into a byte editor and switch them to run mode 0, but then it results in the midi tracks going out of sync within Doom 64 EX.

I am not sure what the difference in run mode 0 and 1 signifies really. But any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I know this is a very specific problem. I can program a byte editing solution as well if needed.

Reply to #85938×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Run Mode 1 Issue (2020-09-30 22:03 by kuzu #85945)

Thank you for using Sekaiju.
I don't know what "Run Mode 1" means in MIDI,
but I guess you mean "Standard MIDI File format 1".

Standard MIDI File format 1 has multiple tracks and generally one track has single channel.
This is suitable when creating or editing MIDI sequence.
Standard MIDI File format 0 has single track and the track has 1 - 16 channel.
This is suitable for the player which can only read format 0.

Sekaiju's default is format1.
You may convert from "File" - "Property..." Standard MIDI File format 0/1.
Once convert from 1 to 0, it may not be completely recovered to 1,
So I recommend to convert only when your music is completed and
save backup before converting.
You may also recover 0 to 1 by using Ctrl+Z.

Also, I guess you mean "Running Status" in the Standard MIDI File.
Sekaiju doesn't omit any running status when saving as Standard MIDI File.
You can't select omit or not omit.
Reply to #85938

Reply to #85945×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Run Mode 1 Issue (2020-10-02 00:59 by immorpher #85949)

Reply To Message #85945
> Also, I guess you mean "Running Status" in the Standard MIDI File.
> Sekaiju doesn't omit any running status when saving as Standard MIDI File.
> You can't select omit or not omit.

Oh yes it is "running status". The software I was using to look at midi events labeled it as mode for some reason. I will look for the option to "omit" running status. And see if that helps! Thank you!
Reply to #85945

Reply to #85949×

Re: Run Mode 1 Issue (2020-10-22 01:38 by immorpher #86041)

Thought I would include an update! So I wrote a program to go through the midi files and swap running statuses from 1 to 0. It fixed most of the issues I had in Doom 64 EX midi playback. There's still a few oddities which occur, but not at the fault of Sekaiju, as I think I discovered where they are. Just a matter of stripping events that Doom 64 EX doesn't recognize. :)
Reply to #85949

Reply to #86041×