From 18 Jan, 2021 0:00 UTC: All services will be temporary unavailable for maintenance

Forums: OpenMIDIProject forum (Thread #43318)

Feature Request MIDI Panic (2020-12-06 06:59 by Robyn #86264)

Hi kuzu,

First off thank you for such an amazing MIDI sequencing program. It allowed me to finally comfortably use my sound modules while being able to edit every event in detail, unlike a lot of DAWs that seem to miss the obvious features that DTM requires.

I have a few synths (Yamaha TX16W, TG33, TG55, TG500 and Casio VZ10M) that suffer with notes not stopping when I pause playback in Sekaiju. My GM synths will always stop the note whenever I select pause, so I have to use MIDI Quest's Panic button to stop it.
I think all this does is send a MIDI note off command for every possible note. Would it be possible to have this as a feature in Sekaiju so I don't have to rely on other software to fix stuck notes?

Let me know if you require more information on it

Thank you,
Robyn
https://soundcloud.com/robynmod

Reply to #86264×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Feature Request MIDI Panic (2020-12-06 16:37 by kuzu #86277)

Thank you for using Sekaiju.

Sekaiju sends CC#123 (All Note Off) and CC#120 (All Sound Off) whenever stop playing.
But I hear that some synths doesn't recognize CC#123 and CC#120 so remain the sounds when stop playing.
By the way, Sekaiju's pause button is only for adjust the speed, so no message is send.
This is specification.

If need, In the future version, I'll implement panic button
which forcibly sends normal "Note off" message to every key and every channel.
Reply to #86264

Reply to #86277×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Feature Request MIDI Panic (2020-12-07 06:37 by Robyn #86281)

Reply To Message #86277
> Thank you for using Sekaiju.
>
> Sekaiju sends CC#123 (All Note Off) and CC#120 (All Sound Off) whenever stop playing.
> But I hear that some synths doesn't recognize CC#123 and CC#120 so remain the sounds when stop playing.
> By the way, Sekaiju's pause button is only for adjust the speed, so no message is send.
> This is specification.
>
> If need, In the future version, I'll implement panic button
> which forcibly sends normal "Note off" message to every key and every channel.
Thank you for the response! A panic button for note off would be amazing, thank you for taking it into consideration
Reply to #86277

Reply to #86281×

Re: Feature Request MIDI Panic (2020-12-09 02:28 by Pat. M. #86282)

Reply To Message #86277
> Thank you for using Sekaiju.
Thank you a lot for your great work on Sekaiju.

I also have a Yamaha TG55 and I'm experiencing the same issue.

Right now, as a work around, instead of using Pause, instead, I first move the playback position to an empty part of the song, and then click Pause.
I've recorded a video to demonstrate this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS_Ngjh4JS8

I assume that Sekaiju is keeping track of all the notes that are currently On, and sending Note Offs for those notes when you move the playback cursor during playback.
That makes me wonder, perhaps it could be possible to add a feature that adds this action/behaviour to the Pause button, perhaps as a configuration option that could be disabled by default?

I'm hoping that would be straightforward to do. This could be a really useful feature for users of old Yamaha synths.

Thanks again for Sekaiju!
- P.M.
Reply to #86277

Reply to #86282×

Re: Feature Request MIDI Panic (2020-12-09 21:49 by kuzu #86290)

Relating to the playback / stop button,
It is possible to implement to send note off message in addition to send 'CC#123 All note off' when stop playing.
I'll implement this feature in the future's version.

Relating to the pause button,
as I told, this is only for adjusting speed, for listening to the sound of the moment.
So this button's behavior can't be modified only for your module,
and in the video, it seems you aren't using pause button at all.

>I assume that Sekaiju is keeping track of all the notes that are currently On,
>and sending Note Offs for those notes when you move the playback cursor during playback.

Yes, indeed. To avoid sending unnecessary note on/off message when locator is moved,
Sekaiju keeps which note is on and which note is off at realtime during playing.

But during stopping, Sekaiju recognizes all notes are offed because 'CC#123 All note off' is already sent when stopped,
So no note off message is sent during stopping.

I think perhaps your synth doesn't recognize 'CC#123 All note off' when stopping, so the sound remains.

I think this issue will be solved by implementing to send note off message when stop playing, or to add panic button.
Reply to #86282

Reply to #86290×

Re: Feature Request MIDI Panic (2021-01-04 16:49 by kuzu #86457)

A panic button is added in Sekaiju6.1.
A bug in some midi module note's sound doesn't stop is fixed in Sekaiju6.1.
Reply to #86264

Reply to #86457×