Forums: OpenMIDIProject forum (Thread #44322)

Track color = MIDI data? Change SMF0 different track COLOR! (2021-06-24 18:58 by «G~Lí†çh» #87666)

Sometimes I need to open some MIDI-data TRACKs without SMF header, I have to manually insert 14 bytes for reading it with Sekaiju.
The data I look for have different TRACKS (that already includes different MIDI Channels on EACH track) – OTS section from the style file is always beyond the standard SMF0 data (after the CASM section, that starts immediately after the end of SMF0's MTrk) and can't be opened in Sekaiju directly. Each track corresponds the "One Touch Setting" button, each OTS-button contains settings for Right1 (by MIDI Channel 1), Right2 (MIDI Ch.2), Right3 (MIDI Ch.3) and Left (MIDI Ch.4) parts and SysEx events (XG MultiPart and non-XG settings).

[Subject]:
I've changed Track color in settings, but track color has not updated in the main window, I tried to change it directly on the track – but Sekaiju tells me that "Track color" is a midi data too :)
---------------------------
Unable to edit this track in format0 MIDIData.
---------------------------
Of course I'm sure Track color is not a MIDI data, but why I can't change some non-MIDI data settings in SMF0 files?
If I change header to SMF2 instead of SMF0 (4D546864 00000006 0002 0001 0780) – Color chooser works (and there is no nag question «SURE to convert to Format1?»)! Maybe using Format2 is better for this situation…

Hm… maybe better able to read files starting from "MTrk" header (only ask user for a resolution — P.S. still waiting for supporting 1920 ticks), without having to rename its extension to ".mid"…
Or partial open the midi file (e.g. CASM and MDB (music Database) sections of the style file must be moved when saving this file)

Reply to #87666×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Track color = MIDI data? Change SMF0 different track COLOR! (2021-06-24 21:45 by kuzu #87668)

Thank you for using Sekaiju.

Omitting MThd header isn't allowed in MIDI's specification,
So to prevent spreading abnormal SMF, this feature won't be implemented.
Please use binary editor or user-defined program.

And SMF's subchunk must be 'MTrk'.
The other chunk isn't allowed in MIDI's specification.
So to prevent spreading abnormal SMF, this feature won't be implemented.
Please use binary editor or user-defined program.

Note1: YAMAHA's XF format is specific SMF0 format,
but it is often used and the specification is opened,
so Sekaiju can read YAMAHA's XF format exceptionally.
But I think there are some specific SMF format, including CASM.
At now, what I can do is to ignore these illegal chunks safely.

Note2: Sekaiju can read concealed 'MTrk' chunk as possible irrespective of
the header's numtracks. But it must has 'MThd' header
to distinguish non SMF file such as virus file.

>I've changed Track color
Sekaiju's MIDI sequence keeps each track's color in the document level,
So Default track color is applied to a new MIDI sequence or when opening
SMF that has no track color information.
To change existing track color, please double click on the "color" column's
■ mark in the track list window.

>P.S. still waiting for supporting 1920 ticks
1920 ticks per quarter note is too high resolution for a long music.
And the tempo event's mapping calculation may cause overflow.
So I'm planning Sekaiju 64bit version in the future.
Perhaps, when coming 64bit version, 1920 will be implemented.

By the way, in Japan, company is very very hard which is known as "karoshi".
Honestly speaking, I'm too tired and sleepy because of overwork.
I don't have enough time to improve Sekaiju.
And I'm too underpayment.
Only bug fix and small update will be done.
Please don't expect so much.
Now I'm moving Sekaiju from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2015 and
planning 64bit version.

Reply to #87666

Reply to #87668×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Track color = MIDI data? Change SMF0 different track COLOR! (2021-06-24 22:26 by «G~Lí†çh» #87669)

Reply To Message #87668

> But I think there are some specific SMF format, including CASM.
> At now, what I can do is to ignore these illegal chunks safely.
This is a style file, and its specification is not opened officialy:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_0.htm (Introduction)
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_1.htm (MIDI Section)
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_2.htm (CASM Section)
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_3.htm (OTS Section)
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_4.htm (MDB Section)
http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/StyleFileDescription_v21.pdf

> click on the "color" column's ■ mark in the track list window.
The copy-pOsted message appears after doing RIGHT THIS, but only in SMF0 file, and doesn't appear on SMF2!

> 1920 ticks per quarter note is too high resolution for a long music. And the tempo event's mapping calculation may cause overflow.
> So I'm planning Sekaiju 64bit version in the future. Perhaps, when coming 64bit version, 1920 will be implemented.

Oh, no! No! No! I have no such good hardware to support even 64 bit OS :(

> Honestly speaking, I'm too tired and sleepy because of overwork. I don't have enough time to improve Sekaiju. Now I'm moving Sekaiju from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2015 and planning 64bit version.
Oh, cr……… :facepalm: Migrating to VS2015 may OVERKILL all THIS work, I'm very afraid of this…
Reply to #87668

Reply to #87669×

Re: Track color = MIDI data? Change SMF0 different track COLOR! (2021-06-24 23:17 by «G~Lí†çh» #87670)

Reply To Message #87668
> >P.S. still waiting for supporting 1920 ticks
> 1920 ticks per quarter note is too high resolution for a long music. And the tempo event's mapping calculation may cause overflow. Perhaps, when coming 64bit version, 1920 will be implemented.
How did old 32-bit Cakewalk Pro Audio / Sonar WORK with 1920 resolution? hm?
Reply to #87668

Reply to #87670×

Re: Track color = MIDI data? Change SMF0 different track COLOR! (2021-06-24 23:32 by «G~Lí†çh» #87671)

Reply To Message #87670
> How did old 32-bit Cakewalk Pro Audio / Sonar WORK with 1920 resolution? hm?
Oops, niether cwpa nor Sonar worked with it… Nuendo | Cubase officially supported the resolution up to 1920 PPQ (1/16 = 480)!
Hm. strange…
If the program can not work with a "real 1920", can it save to 1920? (recalculate durations between midi events). But look at this project:
https://github.com/stascorp/MIDIPLEX/releases/download/v0.4.2-pre/MIDIPLEX.7z
Reply to #87670

Reply to #87671×