[macemacsjp-english 185] Re: Carbon Emacs on non-commercial CD or DVD

Back to archive index

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dybal****@Web*****
Sun Sep 11 06:31:16 JST 2005

Am 10.09.2005 um 18:09 schrieb Seiji Zenitani:

> Hi,
>
> On 2005/09/11, at 1:03, Seiji Zenitani wrote:
>>> I cannot i-search for words with or for the characters ö or ß: is
>>> this a known bug? And ispell does not launch: is this a known bug
>>> too?
>
> Could you tell me more details? Does ispell (aspell) run when you
> search ascii words? Can you search that characters on other emacs
> such as Aquamacs on OSX or GNU Emacs on Linux systems?

Ispell is not running (de-activated) when your Carbon Emacs is
launched. My example is taken from the *Messages* buffer (in ISO
Latin-1) where statements from .emacs comment the progress or loading:
``Emacs ist größer Nr. 20´´.

When I press 'ö' C-h k tells me: "ö (translated from \232) runs the
command self-insert-command," while GNU Emacs 22.0.50 as X11 client
simply explains: "ö runs the command self-insert-command."

It works to find ``ä´´ in a German holiday's name in *Holidays* buffer
... and of course it fails too in Aquamacs Emacs, except in *Holidays*.
Your Carbon Emacs and Aquamacs Emacs behave the same. And my own
compiled GNU Carbon Emacs 22.0.50 adds into this list. The X11 clients
behave correctly.

\232 is ö in Mac-Roman, a proprietary encoding I stopped using years
ago. In ISO Latin encodings ö is at F6/\366.

Have you seen that when entering 'C-x d' (dired-mode) from *Messages*
Carbon Emacs starts with '/' instead of '~/' as in other Emacsen
(except Aquamacs)?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"