[macemacsjp-english 197] Encoding problems (this time with the attachments!)

Back to archive index

Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.f****@ed*****
Tue Sep 13 19:20:28 JST 2005

Hi,

I am having some problems with encoding which I hope someone in this
list can help me with.  I am not sure that they are Carbon Emacs
specific, hence if you think this post is off-topic, please direct me
to a more appropriate list.

Let me preface by stating that despite previous NeXTStep experiences
in the early 90's, I have been using Mac OS X (and the "Japanese"
Carbon Emacs) for only a couple of months.  I have to say that it's on
the whole a very satisfying working environment and I am very grateful
to the maintainers.  Domo arigato gozaimass!

Now, since late 2001 and until my switch to Mac OS X I was using XEmacs
(native) on a notebook running Windows XP [I'm not proud, but there
you go: there were good reasons at the time].  This XEmacs was
major version 21 and did not have MULE support.  As a result my
expertise with coding systems is minimal and hence my present woes.  I
have been using iso-accents-mode with default encoding iso-8859-1.  As
Carbon Emacs reminds me once in a while, iso-accents-mode is now
deprecated, but I'm not sure what exactly has replaced it.  In any
case, on occasion I have used the Mac keyboard sequences (Option-E e
for é, for example) and my problems persist.

Here are two problems that I'm experiencing:

Problem 1
---------

Suppose I type accented characters (like é,ü,î,...) either using their
Mac keyboard sequences or the ones in iso-accents-mode into a Carbon
Emacs buffer.

If I then copy and paste them from the Carbon Emacs buffer into,
e.g., Mail.app then I get this