[macemacsjp-english 643] Re: startup error (CFMessagePort)

Back to archive index

David Reitter david****@gmail*****
Wed Aug 23 17:13:01 JST 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, at 08:44, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 23.08.2006 um 04:38 schrieb Christopher C.Stacy:
>
>> When I launch more than one Emacs
>
> Why do you need to do this? If you want to make Carbon Emacs edit a
> particular file you can start 'emacs-server' and use emacsclient to
> transfer a file from the command line to a running Emacs. Or you can
> use a *shell* or *eshell* or *terminal* buffer inside Carbon Emacs –
> no need for an 'external' command line!

Given the fact that een in 2006 Emacs is not multi-threaded and a
single operation (e.g. a CVS checkin, calculation in R via ESS) can
block the entire editor, Chris may have valid reasons!

If that's not the case, I wouldn't bother with emacs-server.
I wrote a little startup script a while ago:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CustomizeAquamacs#toc5

It's written for Aquamacs, but a little customization should make it
work with Carbon Emacs just the same.