[macemacsjp-english 483] Re: macemacsjp-english Digest, Vol 13, Issue 11

Back to archive index

David Reitter david****@gmail*****
Sun Mar 19 20:14:28 JST 2006

On 19 Mar 2006, at 03:06, Christopher C.Stacy wrote:

>> 25 years ago, filenames weren't meant to have spaces in them.
>> That is very different now.
>
> Well, actually, as a historical footnote, they did.
> When I first used Emacs in the late 1970s filenames had spaces in
> them.

They sure COULD contain spaces (which is a matter of the file system
as well, I guess). Do you remember any uses of a filename with a
space in a standard filesystem hierarchy?

Also, shells seem to be designed with the idea in mind that spaces in
filenames are extraordinary. Spaces are used to separate arguments.
If they occur within an argument, they need to be quoted or escaped.
In 25 years, people didn't complain about not being able to input a
(new) filename with a space without resorting to a prefix key. I
guess they didn't use spaces in filenames.