[macemacsjp-english 734] Re: Configuring Auctex and flyspell

Back to archive index

Brian J. Lopes statm****@gmail*****
Mon Nov 6 02:44:55 JST 2006

This is to respond to Peter's comments, thanks for taking the time to go
through my .emacs file, Peter!  I also have a few questions in here, but
overall it helped save my configuration.  I will be sending another
email asking about the lingering flyspell problems.

Peter Dyballa wrote:
 > Am 04.11.2006 um 22:16 schrieb Brian J. Lopes:
 >
 >> Hello Everyone,
 >> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
 >>    (function (lambda ()
 >>                 (require 'reftex)
 >
 > This statement does not belong into a hook. Require makes Emacs
remember to load something in case it's needed. Since Emacs does not
forget as easily as humans do it's OK to write this statement once  and
outside of a hook.

I got the impression that this would mean that I would only load the
configuration when necessary, and hence help speed up my already slow

 >> (if window-system
 >>     (progn
 >>     (set-background-color "black"))) ;;if using -nw then background
  black

 > There is no progn needed for the else part. It's treated as kind of a
  default, so it's interpreted in sequence. The if part is assumed to
be an exception – would you otherwise (for no exception) use an if  clause?

I use this so that I have different settings for when I open in -nw
mode, it's more handy on my Linux installations, but does that answer
your question for why it's an if statement?

 >> (setq load-path (append load-path (list nil "/Applications/myapps/
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp") load-path)) ; Look in  Carbon
Emacs lisp folder next (for Mac emacs)

 > I think these are not needed. You can check in emacs with these lines
  commented. Another way to extend load-path:

 >        (setq load-path
 >            (mapcar 'expand-file-name
 >         (append '(
 >         "/Library/Application Support/Emacs"
 >         "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/reftex"
 >         "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/auctex"
 >         "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/auctex/images"
 >         "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/preview")
 >         load-path)))
 >
 >        (add-to-list 'load-path (concat "/Library/Application Support/
Emacs/calendar"
 >                  (number-to-string emacs-major-version)))

Disco!  This was the main problem in my configuration file, so I
commented that stuff out.  It works fine, although wait for the
following email about a lingering problem.  For now, all I want to do is
add my personal $HOME/.elisp directory into the path, so can I just use:

(add-to-list 'load-path (concat "~/.elisp"          \
(number-to-string emacs-major-version)))