[MinGW-Notify] [mingw] #39246: Please update MSYS awk; current awk-3.1.7 implementation is too old to remainviable

Back to archive index
MinGW Notification List mingw****@lists*****
Tue Dec 8 07:30:42 JST 2020

#39246: Please update MSYS awk; current awk-3.1.7 implementation is too old to remain
viable

  Open Date: 2019-05-17 07:44
Last Update: 2020-12-08 07:30

URL for this Ticket:
    https://osdn.net//projects/mingw/ticket/39246
RSS feed for this Ticket:
    https://osdn.net/ticket/ticket_rss.php?group_id=3917&tid=39246

Last Changes/Comment on this Ticket:

Comment:

I recently installed mingw and found an old version of awk. Do you guys accept
binaries?

gawk 5.1.0

This works for me, I was able to compile a package that requires a recent awk
version https://github.com/mbuilov/gawk-windows/releases/tag/06102020

This is for Windows XP and later https://github.com/mbuilov/gawk-windows/
releases/download/06102020/mingworg_gcc_32_rel_c.zip

It's just a matter of packaging that binary and make it available to users.

I works without Msys.

Comment:

I recently installed mingw and found an old version of awk. Do you guys accept
binaries?

gawk 5.1.0

This works for me, I was able to compile a package that requires a recent awk
version https://github.com/mbuilov/gawk-windows/releases/tag/06102020

This is for Windows XP and later https://github.com/mbuilov/gawk-windows/
releases/download/06102020/mingworg_gcc_32_rel_c.zip

It's just a matter of packaging that binary and make it available to users.

I works without Msys.

Ticket Status:

      Reporter: keith
         Owner: cstrauss
          Type: Feature Request
     MileStone: (None)
     Component: MSYS
      Severity: 5 - Medium
    Resolution: None

Ticket details:

While developing this Mercurial Queues emulation for Git, which will be
required to support git integration for this proposed MinGW package builder
tool, I've run into a problem with the MSYS implementation of awk. On my LMDE
system, I have awk-4.0.1, and I've written an emulator for "git qselect
--series", (which I've yet to publish to the git-mq chamber). This used gawk's
"asorti()" function, with a custom sort-comparator function, to present the
output in lexically sorted order; it works fine in awk-4.0.1, but fails on
MSYS, which offers only awk-3.1.7; (the "asorti()" function appears to be
supported, but the custom comparator function reference parameter is rejected).

I've since reworked my "git qselect --series" emulation, using my own "qsort()"
function implementation, instead of gawk's "asorti()" function. This makes the
entire emulation significantly more portable, but it may still make sense to
upgrade the MSYS implementation of awk, such that it will support more modern
gawk features.

--
Ticket information of MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows project
MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows Project is hosted on OSDN

Project URL: https://osdn.net/projects/mingw/
OSDN: https://osdn.net