[tomoyo-users-en 161] Re: Tomoyo licensing

Back to archive index
Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs****@debia*****
Mon May 10 07:08:20 JST 2010

On Monday 10 May 2010 03:01:00 Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> README.tomoyo has below lines
>
>   About this package:
>
>   This package contains userland programs for TOMOYO Linux version 2.2.0 .
>   This package is released under the GPLv2.

Thanks. So I am taking it as GPLv2 Only.

> Should I declare it in each source file (*.h and *.c)?

That would be a better practice in my opinion.

At least that is what the GPL license also recommends.

==
  If you develop a new program, and you want it to be of the greatest
possible use to the public, the best way to achieve this is to make it
free software which everyone can redistribute and change under these terms.

  To do so, attach the following notices to the program.  It is safest
to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively
convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least
the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.
==

Most GPL software follow this convention (I checked the linux source code).

/*
 * drivers/hwmon/hdaps.c - driver for IBM's Hard Drive Active Protection System
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2005 Robert Love <rml****@novel*****>
 * Copyright (C) 2005 Jesper Juhl <jespe****@gmail*****>
 *
 * The HardDisk Active Protection System (hdaps) is present in IBM ThinkPads
 * starting with the R40, T41, and X40.  It provides a basic two-axis
 * accelerometer and other data, such as the device's temperature.
 *
 * This driver is based on the document by Mark A. Smith available at
 * http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/marksmith/tpaps.html and a lot of trial
 * and error.
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
 * under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2 as published by the
 * Free Software Foundation.
 *
 * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
 * ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for
 * more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
 * this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
 * 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA
 */

So you might want to declare tomoyo similarly since it is GPLv2.

Regards,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs